Wednesday, October 1, 2008

My love-hate relationship


Does everyone have one of those? I do and it's called The South Beach Diet. I love it and at the same time I hate it. You would think a person wouldn't love a diet at all. But, how can you not love something that gives results in a short amount of time?

For the past two weeks my husband and I have been on this diet. We cut out all sugars which include the fructose kind found in fruit. I know! How crazy is that? A diet where you can't eat fruit for two weeks. We also eliminated starches found in potatoes, corn and rice. Also, no eating grains so bread is out. What did we eat, you ask? Lots of vegetables, chicken, meat and cheese. Sugar-free jell-o and pudding are a staple to this diet. I've come to find that everything you eat during this time is a wet food. This is the part I hate.

The part I love is I've lost 10 pounds! I didn't even do a single sit-up. How is that for results? The thing you need the most is will-power to resist all temptation. I think that is the hardest thing for me. We have a cookie jar at work and you don't want to know how many times I pass it during the day. At least I found out that those cookies do disappear even without my participation so I'm not the only one who eats them.

Another good thing is there is an end in sight. After the two weeks are up you can add fruit back to your diet. You can also eat wheat pasta, wheat bread, and brown rice and limit yourself to goodies occasionally. If you stick to this "lifestyle change" you should continue to shed more pounds...just not as quickly as before.

My goal is 20 pounds so I'm half-way there. Hooray for me! Let's hope that the next 10 go just as easy. This time I am going to start working out.

7 comments:

Chelle said...

Congrats on the loss - keep up the good work with healthy eating and exercising!

Grossarths said...

Way to go! That is some serious will-power and you should be very proud of yourself. I could possibly go without sweets, but not fruit for two whole weeks!

Whimsy said...

Good going, Tamara!!!

angelalois said...

I totally agree. South Beach works but it's tough to stick with. Keep going... and halfway to your goal rocks!

wandering nana said...

Good job. I love the picture.

Ann said...

Great job Tamara!

purebloke said...

Wow! That's awesome! I'm thinking I might have to give it a try.