Saturday, December 15, 2007

Christmas in the Northwest


Did I mention I was a slacker? I send out an email to everyone and their dog about my blog and how many weeks go by before I post again? Too many....I apologize.

This year Chris and I got an artificial tree and it was up and decorated before December 1st. That's the earliest I've ever had it up in my entire life. My family alway had a real tree and the tradition was to
drive to the nearest tree farm, usually the 2nd weekend in December, to cut down a Christmas tree. My mom was always in search of the perfect tree. When she found one she liked, she'd leave one of us kids standing by it in hopes of finding something a little better. After she finally decided my dad would cut it down, tie it to the roof of the van, and we'd drive home to have hot chocolate. I haven't done that in many, many years. The last two years Chris and I have been married we've just gone to a lot and picked one out. Our first Christmas we lived in Bothell across the street from Home Depot we walked over and carried our tree home. It was pretty sweet. The reason we didn't do that this year is we think Chris is allergic. I know, we live in the "Evergreen State", but we don't have trees in our houses so the pine isn't as strong. Chris seemed to always have cold-like symptoms all through the holidays so I got to thinking it had to be the tree. I wanted a healthy husband this year so I gave in and we bought a "fake" tree. Surprisingly, I actually think it's really nice. And there hasn't been a sniffle or a cough from Chris so far. It looks like I was right!

Besides our tree, we do have our fireplace decorated. Our stockings aren't "hung by the chimney with care...", but I've sat them with care is just as good. Once Santa visits, they'll be too full to hang anyway so it works for us.

I always think, "Next year I'm going to be on top of all my shopping, card making, and baking", but it seems the holidays come to quickly and I'm never ready. I did get my cards out, but I haven't baked a thing, and my shopping hasn't hardly begun. I still have more than a week left so I still have some time.



4 comments:

wandering nana said...

I think Chris was faking so he didn't have to haul a tree up and down the stairs. I love my fake tree but it still loses a few needles here and there. We hang our stockings and then Santa takes them down and fills them and leaves them by the tree. Your not a slacker...you're just busy.

Rose said...

Cute decorations! It's okay to have a fake tree, we have one too! :)

The Warr's said...

i just got your christmas card announcing your having a boy! i'm so excited for you guys! i'm glad your updating your blog, because i feel like i'm sitting there chatting with you again...i love your stories! keep us posted! love Jo

Chelle said...

It was fun to come over and see your decorations - you always do such a great job in making your home warm and inviting!