Thursday, November 12, 2009

Iron anyone?

This past Tuesday I spent the day (9am - 3:30pm to be exact) being infused with iron. I know the picture looks like a bag of blood, but if you could have seen it up close it's more like rust colored water.

I have had this blood thing since I was in high school. It's been ruled out to a condition called pancytopenia PLUS my body doesn't absorb iron from my diet so I become anemic. I have my blood checked every six months to make sure I'm still at the normal levels for me and to make sure nothing else has changed. Once a year my hematologist runs an iron count with everything else and this time found my feritin level was at a 6. Normal for women is between 18-160. Yikes! So the quickest way for me to get back to where I need to be is to have these infusions. I think my body holds on to the iron for a year and a half which I think is pretty good. It takes a few weeks for things to for my energy to go up so it's not immediate. The only bad thing after my treatment: a sore hand where the needle was.

2 comments:

Chelle said...

I forgot that you do these on occasion. I'm sure you will be back to your iron-rich self very soon!

wandering nana said...

I hope you are feeling better. I need my card class partner.